Friday, October 14, 2011

Partially quilted, bird fused to background

Bird fused to partially quilted background

Tonight I squared up the background fabric of the Habitat challenge quilt. I trimmed off as little as possible from all sides, no more than 1/2 inch.

I fused the background to batting, then quilted the vertical lines, just on one side of each stripe, leaving the other side unquilted. It was just an idea that popped into my head, so I went with it. I like it. I used invisible thread for the upper thread and white for the bobbin. The white peeks through to the quilt top here and there but I’m not too concerned about it.

With the vertical lines quilted, I placed the bird on the quilt top. I wanted to quilt the horizontal lines behind the bird, so I determined that area, marking the boundaries with safety pins. I quilted the top edge of those vertical lines, leaving underside unquilted.

When I finished the partial quilting, I fused the bird in place. He covers some of the quilted lines, which I had planned.

Tomorrow night I’ll prepare the back (using the third Habitat fabric – the aqua mini-dot) for a pillowcase finish, assemble the quilt sandwich, sew around the edges, turn the quilt right side out, then finish the quilting. I want to have a finished project by the time I go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.