Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Two Art Quilts Finished

I just completed a couple of art quilts for a fundraiser for Stanislaus Family Justice Center, a local agency that provides services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse and elder abuse. Local artists chose pieces of art made by young clients of the center, to inspire a new piece made in the artist's media of choice. The new art pieces will be sold as a fundraiser for the center.

Inspiration for the first art quilt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Goes to the Beach
Leslie's words: I like art because I don't have to think about anything else. 
My happy place is the ocean, so I created a beach scene. 
Quilt made mostly of Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric (donated by Connie L.), cut up to form a new design. 
8" x 10"
Completed 3/7/2014


Leftovers from the caterpillar fabric panel
I was given two panels, and I left one intact. It may become one or two charity quilts, probably for Stanislaus Family Justice Center.

Inspiration for the second art quilt
Actually my first choice, but it got scooped up by someone else at the choosing event back in January. Interestingly, Serena's piece was very recently returned by the artist. The piece was offered to anyone who could work fast. That's me! I was so happy to end up with my first choice.

Why So Sad?
The eyebrows on Serena's painting reminded me of one of my baby pictures, where I look like I'm about to cry. 
I scanned my baby photo, applied a Pop Art effect found on Befunky.com, then printed to fabric. Tiny beads hold the quilt layers together. 
8" x 10"
Completed 3/10/2014


Creating the caterpillar quilt - picking up where I left off on a previous post:

Attempting to square up the edges of the quilt.
Personally I don't mind if my quilts are a little crooked, but I didn't want that to stand in the way of a potential sale.

Before I did my pillowcase finish, I decided to sew an inch or so at the edges of the sky, sea and sand. I was trying to create some stability so the long pieces wouldn't just shift willy-nilly. I also needed to know how far I could go and still leave some wiggle room for the placement of the sailboat. Vertical pins mark the sailboat area.

The details have been removed, horizontal areas pinned in place, start and stop areas for the edges marked.

If you look closely you can see a short line of stitching just below the head of the pin.

Ready to sew around the edges for the pillowcase finish. The space between the double pins will be left unsewn, to provide an opening to turn the quilt right side out.

Edges sewn

Trimmed up

Quilt turned right side out, gap pinned shut

Edge-stitching closes the gap

Horizontal lines folded under and stitched down. Caterpillar and other details will be stitched close to the raw edge. I use invisible thread in the top and pale gray on the bottom. I don't have to worry too much if the bobbin pokes through to the top.

Once again, the finished quilt

Now, how I made the other art quilt:

This is my baby photo.

Taken with my camera as an experiment, not necessarily for real.

Uploaded the black and white photo to BeFunky.com, an online photo editor.
Tried cartoonizing, like I did with SantaCard Gift Card and TC's Christmas, but I wasn't thrilled. I tried lots of other effects, and really liked this one, Pop Art.

Here is a scan of my photo.

Applied the same Pop Art effect.

Another Pop Art effect - quite artsy

After trying several printouts of each style, in a variety of sizes, I decided to go with the original version...in a full page size, which seemed to have the most impact. Printed to June Tailor Sew-In Colorfast Fabric Sheets. At nearly $10 for a pack of three fabric sheets, I always experiment with paper printouts before I commit to printing on fabric.

Variety of beads that might be used in the quilt.

Chose a solid navy for the back of the quilt

Quilt sandwich pinned together for a pillowcase finish (my favorite)

Stitched along the edge of the white margin, trimmed.

Quilt turned right side out, edge stitched.

Determining placement of beads, to be sewn to hold quilt layers together.

Using pins to hold beads in place as I hand sew them one at time.

First bead sewn (larger red dot near the corner)

Back. I tied a quadruple knot, then trimmed the threads to about 1/4" long. I'd show a photo of the trimmed threads but it's way out of focus.

Once again, the finished quilt.

All of the art pieces will be on display at a preview on March 20, a Thursday. By getting off work a little bit early, I'll be able to stop by and take a look before I head to band and orchestra rehearsals. The following Thursday is the actual fundraiser. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, because of, you guessed it, rehearsals. Hopefully I'll hear about the sales soon after. I hope my little art quilts bring some money to the center.

Like my Facebook page Traveling Quilter and get more updates on my quilting and my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.