Thursday, July 06, 2006

Windmills Over India

I made the top for this quilt from my stash last fall. I was experimenting with several ideas in the design, and the quilt top was set aside be finished later, eventually to be given to a local children's center. As it turned out, the quilt became a fundraiser to benefit Al, a co-worker who retired from our office last week to be a missionary in India. For months I had wanted to do something to help raise money for Al's send-off, but I had several other projects in the works and didn't have time to make a new quilt from scratch. Then I remembered this quilt top, and finished the quilt in a couple of days. I spent $12 on backing and floss for tying; the quilt was raffled in the office, and raised $182! Some people donated cash without buying raffle tickets. All told, several hundred dollars was raised, which bought boxes and boxes of school supplies and little hygiene kits (toothbrush, toothpaste, band-aids, etc.). Al will take these with him to India. God bless you, Al!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.