Tonight I did a pillowcase finish on Carolyn’s Flower Garden quilt, turned it right side out and topstitched all around the edge. Tomorrow night (Wednesday) I’ll tie knots with embroidery floss and the quilt will be done—just in time for Carolyn’s last day Thursday before she retires.
Monday, June 27, 2011
I’m making good progress on Carolyn’s Flower Garden quilt. Last night I got the blocks and sashing sewn into four rows. Tonight I’ll join the rows and sew on the border. I’ll do a pillowcase finish, and I’m hoping to get the quilt turned right side out by bedtime tonight. I’d love to deliver the quilt on Wednesday, with a day to spare before Carolyn retires.
Sunday, June 26, 2011
Flower blocks - sets 3-5
Tomorrow I’ll lay out the flower blocks on the design wall, then start on the sashing. With the absolute deadline of Thursday looming, I’m doing pretty well.
Saturday, June 25, 2011
See more progress on: Make Carolyn's Flower Garden quilt
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
I’ll have to hurry on this one!
Saturday morning I wasn’t feeling well but I was determined to drive up to Sacramento for the Sacramento Modern Quilt Guild meeting. The Kona charm pack challenge quilts were due and I wanted to show off Butterflies—my creation from the charm pack. I got up, took a shower, then sat down on the sofa for a half hour. I was feeling pretty miserable and I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I decided it wouldn’t be wise to drive 1.5 hours each way just to show my quilt. So I decided to stay home and off the road. I went ahead and loaded my photos onto the guild’s website, then emailed the leader to let her know. I sat back and let myself rest.
A couple of hours later I woke up and checked my email, but there was no answer from the leader. I called Sew Fun Quilts in Folsom, where we meet, to let them know I wouldn’t be coming but that I had uploaded my photos.
I would have loved to show my quilt but I know I made a good decision not to drive. There’s always the July meeting.
Friday, June 17, 2011
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
How I did it: The project was a challenge from Sacramento Modern Quilt Guild, of which I am a member. We were given a pack of 5.5" charms in 42 gorgeous colors by Robert Kaufman. The challenge was to make a quilt in any size, any design, using the charms and up to two other fabrics.
I'd been wanting to make a butterfly-themed quilt for a while, so it seemed like a good time to make it. I found an applique butterfly pattern on Electric Quilt, bought a pale blue print for the background and a shimmery, sparkly sheer to give one special butterfly a gossamer look.
I wanted to make black bodies and antennae for the butterflies, but there were no black fabrics in the pack. I'd already reached my limit of two extra fabrics and I didn't want to give up either of them. What to do? I decided to create black fabric from some of the charms. After auditioning a black permanent marker and some fabric paint I went with the paint. I also purchased black dye, but didn't try it since the paint worked just fine. End result: I made black fabric without breaking the two-fabric rule.
I chose 2 charms for each of the 9 butterflies, and ironed fusible web to each of them. I wanted the butterflies to be similar but not identical so I cut the parts of the butterflies free-hand which gave each one a different personality. If pieces were too big for the area underneath, I trimmed them a little until they fit.
I fused the wings pieces together, arranged them on the background (previously backed with fusible fleece), then ironed the wings in place. I quilted the wings, attached the bodies and antennae with fabric glue, then quilted those.
I did a pillowcase finish with the backing, turned the quilt right side out, then machine quilted the background.
I like how the quilt turned out. It's really fun and just in time to display for spring/summer. I'll take the quilt with me to Saturday's quilt guild meeting.
Lessons & tips: When you run into a stumbling block, think creatively to get around it.
Resources: Electric Quilt quilting program
Tulip fabric paint
It took me 2 weeks.
It made me Happy
Monday, June 13, 2011
I’m sure we’ll have some adventures, as well as a lot of fun along the way.
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Next, I used fabric glue to attach the antennae and bodies to the butterflies. I gave the glue time to dry, then quilted those in black thread. Perhaps my needle was tired, or perhaps it was the fabric paint on the pieces, but it was slow-going on the quilting, but it looked pretty good when it was finished. All in all, I’m glad I did an edgestitch instead of the zig-zag. From a distance I can’t see the quilting, and the edges are nice and clean, not muddled with zig-zag.
Next I’ll do a pillowcase finish with backing, then quilt the sky area. This project is almost done.
Fabrics for Cristine's Bosties
Sunday, June 05, 2011
The body of the first butterfly, dark purple and yellow, was bothering me. I cut a sleeker body and swapped it out. I like it better.
Next step, arrange butterflies on background, fuse them into place, then machine applique the edges. I keep going back and forth on the color thread to use. Right now I’m thinking of choosing a darker version of the fabric, rather than black. I may try a test butterfly and see which way I prefer.