Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Made some progress

I’m been asked to make a couple of baby blankets for a friend at work. Her young daughter has an old blanket, and the new blankets will be made with similar dimensions (approximately 30” x 34”). The friend bought a couple of fleece prints, one for the friend’s mother and the other for the daughter.
The blankets are pretty simple: two layers of fleece, with wide satin blanket binding. The challenge is that the binding needs to have mitered corners, which I’ve never done before. I tried the standard fold it up, fold it down technique last night but I wasn’t happy with the results, possibly because I used scraps and very narrow binding.
I invented my own unconventional method (cheating). I sewed plain strips on the long sides, leaving the top and bottom unbound. Tonight I’ll attach the top and bottom strips, folding the corners into rectangular shapes so they appear to be mitered. I have to admit I kind of borrowed the technique from my finish carpenter turned project manager son who told me about a similar method for crown molding. Thanks, Robbie!
We’ll see how it goes tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.