Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My week

I've been off work for over a week now. It's been great, but tomorrow I go back to reality. At the beginning of my vacation week I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish, in the hopes of not frittering away my time. I'm happy to say that I got most, if not all, of my list done.

On Wednesday I ate a late breakfast at Mimi's, where I had my favorite: mixed berry pain perdu. Then I drove to Pacifica, just south of San Francisco, for the day. It was beautiful weather, and not as windy as is was at home. I was very tempted to spend the night, but I couldn't afford it and wisely resisted the temptation.

Signs warning of high surf breaking over the sea wall. I've witnessed this a time or two, but when I arrived it wasn't a problem.

The view from near my favorite bench.
After I'd sat by the water for a while, I went to a coffee shop and got coffee and a lemon bar. I had about an hour before sunset and I was afraid to drive anywhere for fear of being rushed or being late for the sunset. So I went and sat in my car.

I parked my car behind the rocks. The ocean is just below the rocks.The tide was coming in and I wanted to stay to see the sunset.

I've seen cars get drenched with big waves coming over these rocks. With a half hour to go before sunset, I wondered if my car would get splashed, and I was kind of looking forward to it. Here's a wave that didn't quite make it over the rocks.

Sunset over Pacifica
By the way, just as I was about to start my car, some spray came over the rocks and hit my windshield. Woo-hoo!

Dinner time at Gorilla BBQ, as seen on Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
I always eat here when I come to Pacifica.

Daiso Japan in Daly City
I read about this place on the internet. It struck me as a kind of Japanese dollar store. This the closest store to where I live, so I had to check it out while I was in the area.

Nearly everything is $1.50 and, yes, it is very much like a dollar store. I picked up a basket for my medicine cabinet, a plastic colander to drain pasta, a splitter to accommodate two sets of earbuds on one Ipod or other device, and a set of earbuds. The last two items were for traveling with a friend; since my car radio doesn't work, I listen to Pandora on my phone. $1.50 isn't a bad price for "disposable" earbuds.
Here's the basket filled with medicine. I'm very short, and it's been difficult to reach bottles in the cabinet. Now I can just pull out the basket and reach anything I need. Marvelous!
After Daiso, I went to Joann's. I had hoped to end the evening at the bookstore across the parking lot from Joann's, but the bookstore was no longer there. I don't recall if it was Borders or Barnes and Noble. Whichever it is, it was gone. What a disappointment. I stayed at Joann's until closing time and left empty handed. I found a Starbucks nearby, used the restroom and bought a drink for the road. I got home before midnight. It was a great day.

One of my targets for the week was to alter a sewing pattern and sew the garment. I altered the pattern, but didn't get any farther. I stopped working on the garment in order to work on Echoes - Frog Quilt, another target.  I attached borders to the centers of the Echoes - Frog Quilt blocks, and I sewed the blocks together to form the main part of the quilt top. 

Downtown Winters
Cloth Carousel quilt shop is next door to the Visitors Center, where the quilt guild meeting was held.

Putah Creek Cafe
Just a few steps from Carousel Quilt shop

With the quilt top sewn together I was able to share it at the Sacramento Modern Quilt Guild meeting. This month's meeting was in Winters, CA, which is west of Sacramento. I had never been there, but it seems like a quaint western sort of town. My friend and co-worker Sharon E. went along with me. Our guild meeting was held at the Visitors Center on Main Street and afterward we went next door to the Cloth Carousel quilt shop. I found a music-themed fabric that has been on my Wish List at Equilter.com. I went ahead and bought a yard, with no clue as to the quilt pattern. I'll just make it work somehow.

After the quilt shop, Sharon and I walked to the corner and had lunch at Putah Creek Cafe, which has been on Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. The food was really good, and I got to add another restaurant to my list of places I've seen on Food Network.

One of the items on our itinerary was to drop off fabric with quilting friend Marilyn L., who coordinates Vacaville Binky Patrol. We met up with Marilyn at Quilted Heart quilt shop in Vacaville. I donated a couple of boxes plus a couple of bags of fabric. It helps me reduce my stash, and I know that the fabric will be used for a good cause. While at the quilt shop, I found yet another music-themed fabric that was on my Equilter Wish List. I bought a yard and a half. Again, I'll make it work. The project is a quilt for Darrell, a musician friend. I couldn't believe I found both of these fabrics on the same day. And the best part is I don't have to pay shipping.
Fabrics for quilt for musician friend Darrell

Pin I bought at Quilted Heart. My daughter Lisa has long believed I need to join Quiltaholics Anonymous. She laughed when I sent her a picture of the pin.

After Vacaville we drove to Sacramento, to the South Natomas branch of the Sacramento Library. Sharon got a library card. Much like I do, Sharon can now download e-books to her Kindle, borrowing them from Sacramento Library through Amazon.com. I download to my phone and read books using my Kindle app. It's a great thing.

Next we drove to nearby Ikea West Sacramento. This was Sharon's first time to Ikea. She picked up a few things, but I was unable to find the Annamoa fabric I was hoping for, which was supposed to be back in stock in February. The fabric has mountain goats on it, and I want some to make something for my granddaughter Piper, who I call "my little mountain goat." She loves to climb. Oh, well, I'll keep checking each month.
This mirror at Ikea looks like a baby's head with little curls on top.

After Ikea we stopped at In N Out Burger for the restroom and a milkshake, then headed home. Sharon and I had a great time together. I'm so glad she came along with me.

Also on my list of targets was a mixed media project - my first attempt. While I was at the grocery store I picked up a greeting card showing an old woman playing marbles. Tonight I did a little wallhanging featuring the photo. It took me just a couple of hours. I completely winged it, and aside from the greeting card, I used things that were on hand. Here it is:

Remember to Play
My first mixed media project
Mostly from supplies on hand

I like it. I may add a bit more embellishment. I'll write a separate post with details about how I made the wallhanging.

So that was my week. I accomplished just about all I set out to do. I'm really glad I didn't waste the week. I feel proud that I was productive and had fun, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.