Thursday, February 21, 2013
WIP Wednesday 2/20/2013
Travel quilt - main part of quilt top finished
I've made quite a bit of progress on the travel quilt during the past week. Tonight I got the main part of the quilt top sewn together. I really like how it's turned out so far.
The trickiest part of the quilt was to work in the large center panel. In order to keep the center panel as large as possible, I would have to trim away parts of the quilt blocks that were on either side of the panel. I waited until most of the blocks were sewn together before tackling the center panel.
After doing some measuring, trimmed on the outside edge of the red border, which is what I had planned on when I designed the quilt in Electric Quilt. I love it when things work out.
Attached sashing to the sides of the panel, then tried out against the 4-block pieces on the sides of the panel.
Eyeballed, measured, calculated, then cut conservatively - trimming away 1.5" instead of 2.25".
Crossed my fingers that I didn't take away too much.
As it turned out, the rows fit together really well. I had to fudge together one seam, but it wasn't bad. I'm so glad I didn't cut away much more than I did.
For quite some time I had pretty much decided to sash the entire quilt top, then add the butterscotch fabric, which is seen in the buildings of the center panel. But tonight when I tried out the black sashing fabric, it seemed to contain the quilt. Right now I'm planning to go with the black. We'll see how I feel when I work on the quilt again in a day or two.
Like my Facebook page Traveling Quilter and get more updates on my quilting and my travels.