Thursday, November 21, 2013
WIP Wednesday 11/20/2013
I've been working on a quilt for retiring co-worker Cecilia K., concentrating on making petals for a large flower. There are seven layers for each petal, and I've been using just one printout, trimming away each "ring" as I go to reveal the new pattern.
I got partway into trimming when I realized I was cutting on the wrong line. Horror of horrors!
A piece of Scotch tape saved the day and I trimmed away the correct part.
I'd been sewing on one layer at a time, trimming out the centers of the "old" layer as I go. I must have forgotten during one of the last layers, and had to trim away a double layer on most of the petals. On the left is what the back should look like after trimming; on the right is how most of the petals looked. Oh, well. That mistake didn't add much more bulk overall. Weirdly, I scared myself a couple of times, thinking I'd cut through too far. But they were all fine. Stress!
Petals from the photo above, flipped to the right sides.
For the last two rounds, I decided to sew them simultaneously. The pieces were very small, and the edges touched in the lower halves. The zigzag would easily cover both fabrics.
Seven petals arranged like a flower. I will probably add a center circle.
Petal inspiration - from a tissue box
I copied the shape, magnified from a couple of inches tall to almost 11", the size of a piece of printer paper. Personally I love the contrast of dark with light, but I subbed in the coloration of the partial petal seen to the left. It has a softer color combo, which reflects Cecilia's soft, gentle personality.
Like my Facebook page Traveling Quilter and get more updates on my quilting and my travels.