Thursday, May 30, 2013
Pink Animal Print quilt
Original design, completed 5/15/2013
Fundraiser quilt, raised $200 for daughter-in-law Laurie's Mothers of Preschoolers group at church.
I finished this quilt a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have a photo until today. The quilt was quite popular at the fundraiser raffle, raising $200 to fund activities for the Mothers of Preschoolers group. My daughter-in-law Laurie says that the woman who won the quilt was very happy to get it.
Like my Facebook page Traveling Quilter and get more updates on my quilting and my travels.
Music quilt top finished
The paisley is interesting, not too feminine, and seems to fit the mood of the music theme fabric.
With sample of music theme fabric
Last night I finished the quilt top of the music themed quilt for organist friend Bob P. I see Bob twice a week at church - during Thursday night orchestra rehearsals and Sunday morning services. My plan is to give the quilt to Bob on a Thursday night, which is less hectic than Sunday morning. I would have loved to give the quilt tomorrow evening, but there was no way I could completely finish the quilt before bedtime and get any sleep. So I took the night off of sewing. I'll finish Bob's quilt over the weekend and save it for next Thursday night's presentation.
Since I didn't sew, I spent the evening planning a Fourth of July quilt. I did an Electric Quilt sketch and searched for stars fabric. I'll start that quilt mid-June.
Sketch drawn by bride
Once Bob's music quilt is done, I'll start working on a wedding wallhanging for the daughter of co-worker Gayle S. The quilt will be mostly white, with touches of embroidered fabric, blue, burlap and white lace. Think Romantic Cowboy. The center square has been embroidered by former co-worker Diane M., who owns a local sewing business. I should begin that quilt early next week.
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Main part of music quilt top
Wide blue border to be added.
Not much left of the music themed fabric
I got the main part of the music quilt top done tonight. Tomorrow I just need to attach wide blue borders and the quilt top will be finished.
Thursday, May 23, 2013
For the past couple of days I've been working on strip sets that represent black and white keys on a piano or other keyboard -- part of a quilt for organist friend Bob P.
Piano key border blocks
Section of piano key border sewn together
For you keyboardists, this run of fabric strips represents the keys of C to B.
Border sections laid out on design wall
Turns out it wasn't quite right and it became almost comical that I had to rip out seams several times, adding the "right" colors to to get the correct combination of white and black strips.
Ta-dah! Finally got it right.
Again, for you keyboardists, notice that the notes start with C in the top left, and going clockwise, repeat through the scale several times.
Here's a preview with the music themed fabric in the center. A narrow blue border will separate the theme fabric from the black and white strips.
I plan to finish the quilt top this weekend.
Monday, May 20, 2013
Fabric for new music themed quilt for organist friend Bob P. Bob enjoys playing and listening to classical music and I found a great fabric in that theme. I chose the blue because the combination of blue and gold reminds me of royalty, and I imagine the composers would have performed before kings and queens.
ElectricQuilt sketch of music themed quilt. Piano keyboard border, often in alternating colors or scrappy, was designed to look like a real keyboard. Tan areas in center and corners will be filled with music themed fabric. Center will be one large panel of the fabric, not cut up.
I've started a new quilt for organist friend Bob P. Bob and I have been playing music together at our church for a very long time - nearly 30 years. I am excited to make this music-themed quilt for my longtime friend and fellow musician.
I'll start working on the keyboard border tomorrow evening.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Main part of quilt top - fundraiser quilt
I haven't posted for a little while. I've been busy during the past week playing piano for a local stage production of Peter Pan, which ended last night. Also my sister Cass from Illinois was here for a few days, for the funeral of our aunt Alice. Somehow I've managed to do a little sewing each night. Currently I'm working on a fundraiser quilt to benefit my daughter-in-law Laurie's Mothers of Preschools group at church. The pink animal print is the same that I used in the In Love With Animal Prints quilt and the white-on-white fabric is leftover from past quilt projects.
Tomorrow I'll attach a narrow black border, then a wide border of the pink animal print. The deadline is very soon. It will be down to the wire on this one.
The classical music fabric I ordered has arrived but I haven't had much time to come up with a design yet. Right now I'm thinking of using a large panel of the theme fabric as the center, then surround it with a piano keys border, which would be great for my organist friend Bob. I'll think about the quilt more once the animal print quilt is done.
Thursday, May 02, 2013
Binky Patrol quilt top
Tonight I did a pillowcase finish on the Binky Patrol quilt, turned right side out and stitched all the way around the edges of the quilt. Thursday or Friday night I'll tie knots. By the way, I used a bright orange for the back - a twin sized sheet from Wal-Mart for $6. I often use sheets for the backs of charity quilts.
Pink leopard fabric from In Love With Animal Prints to be used in fundraiser quilt. I'll make the quilt next week.
Just ordered this fabric to make a quilt for church organist and good friend Bob P. No design in mind yet, but will let the fabric inspire me once it arrives.