Last week I finished the first Home Circle quilt block for housekeeper Cristine’s quilt. I paper-pieced Diamond-in-the-Square units for the corners. I usually improvise a light box by using a sunny window, but by the time I was ready the sun had gone down already.
The Home Circle block has four Diamond-in-the-Square units, each of those having a housekeeping fabric in the center, plus three red corners and one black corner. The black corner was in a different position for each of the units, as well. To help keep things straight I arranged four housekeeping-centered units as they pleased my eye. Then I marked the black corners of each unit with a B, knowing that all of the remaining corners were to be red. As I sewed a unit, I started with black so I wouldn’t forget. I’m sure those precautions saved some frustration and do-overs.
When it came time to assemble the block, I had to trim the paper-pieced Diamond-in-the-Square units. The blocks were printed at 8” without seam allowance so they would print without a problem. I had to remember to add a 1/4” to each edge, otherwise the unit would be too small.
I’ve been working on Diamond-in-the-Square units, generally one set of four per night. I have one more set to go, which I will finish tonight. That being done, I will assemble the last four Home Circle blocks. Things will go very quickly after that.